It is interesting to see how much time and effort goes into planning a dream holiday, but when it comes to life, it is mostly left to chance and then we are amazed that we are still stuck behind the same desk after thirty years, doing the same job over and over because we are in a comfort zone and filled with fear of change….
Dreams are the seedlings of realities. – James Allen
When planning a holiday you do not wait, for when you need it. You plan a long time ahead because you know it will leave you rejuvenated for the next year. You find brochures and look at different destinations on the internet -visualising where you are going… this is half the fun! Then you decide where you want to go, when you want to go and for how long? You eagerly plan on what you’ll need to do to get there and you actually schedule time to get things done well before you leave. You contemplate what you need to take. You do your shopping, get everything ready. You pack, using a packing list so that you don’t get to the beach without the sunscreen or that stunning beach wear. You plan the route to get there in time. You travel and stop at intervals to avoid arriving at the destination tired and frustrated. You arrive at your destination ready to have a wonderful time and enjoy every minute of it!
So what makes life so different? Some of us do not know what we want out of life, so how can we make decisions about goals we want to reach? If you would plan your life the way you plan your dream vacation, you will live and reach your dream. Now take your vacation planning as a guide, and plan your life in the same way.
- Give yourself time to dream about what you want to have, what you want to do and what you want to be. Write it down or make a visual collage by cutting out pictures and putting them on a board where you can see it all the time, this clarifies what you really want.
- Decide why you want it and why you will not quit? Feel how it would be, if you reach that goal or realise your dream. This will motivate you to get started and to keep you on track.
- Use positive self talk for encouragement. I normally say to myself, “Go, girl go! I know you can do it!”
- If you are fearful of change, of failure or of something new, ask yourself, “What am I missing out by not doing this?” Remember that feeling of excitement of reaching your goal, and go for it! Create the life you want for yourself.
- Now is the time to take action! It is all good and well to decide to do things, knowing what to do, but not doing it. Procrastination steals all that you deserve!
- Set yourself deadlines, as you set yourself dates in preparation for your vacation.
- Prioritise the actions needed to reach your goal. Transfer them to your diary.
- Take action. Tick off each action listed next to your goals when they are done. Realise your potential. Every action, it does not matter how small, produces results.
- Stop along the way to reward yourself and to check if you are still on track. Be flexible to change the things that do not work, to reach the outcome that you want to achieve.
- Choose your self talk words carefully and remain positive, e.g. Don’t use, “Why doesn’t this work for me?” rather say “How can I make this work differently?”
- To put a stressful situation into perspective think about how important it will be in ten years time.
- Work at achieving your goal every day. When you reach a milestone celebrate and enjoy your accomplishments.
It does not matter how big or how small your dreams are. Take that first step towards the journey of success. Make that dream seedling grow to huge successes, you deserve it!
Copyright © 2008 Cloud 9 organised